Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Bienvenue a Frankfurt

Im here. In Europe.

Where scarves are an everyday accessory and where there is no shortage of capri-clad, satchel-bearing men.

Where the array of languages spoken--German, FRENCH, Spanish, Italian, Chinese--wraps around you in a disorienting blanket with the promise of adventure.

I'm home.

I return to writing--a commencement of words--after a commencement of my own. Four days ago, I graduated Magna Cum Laude from Clemson University as a bright-eyed alumna ready to take on the world.

What better way to begin than with a trip to Italy?

Yes, Italy. (Don't worry, Paris. It won't be long before we see each other again.)

I'm embarking on this voyage as a member of CU Singers, Clemson's audition mixed ensemble. We're scheduled to sing at both St. Peter's Basilica in Rome(!)--maybe the Cardinal Who caught me sneaking a picture of him during a mass at Notre Dame will finally forgive me (guess who I inherited my photography mischief from???)--and at St. Marks in Venice(!!!!). 

I know. Be jealous.

But for now, Im sitting here in Frankfurt (last time I was here, I was waiting to board for ma chere Paris) eyeing a photographer with a tripod in his book bag's mesh cup holder and sitting next to two Chinese women. It seems that I'm on the threshold between to lives: the first as a Clemson student and returning traveler to Europe (the phrase travel addict or even road warrior comes to mind), the second as a future expat in Asia. 

Yes, Asia.

By this point, Im sure its no surprise that I love to travel, and what better way to begin my new post-college life than abroad? Only this time in a place where I know little of the culture and none of the language. Sounds like a growing experience to me!

And so I will spend the next year as an Assistant Language Teacher with the Japanese Exchange Teaching (JET) Program. I've not been formally placed in a location, but I specifically requested to live in Kochi, located on Shikoku island. 

Terrifying? Yes. 

Overwhelming? Yes. 

An unparalleled opportunity?

Absolutely.

With this I begin my new life as an alumna of Clemson and as a new student at the university of life. 

Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dear Reader, share your thoughts!