Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Roaming Ancient Rome

Thanks to two Zzzquils and a fuzzy travel pillow, I slept like a baby on the plane, allowing me to fully enjoy my first day in Rome!

We started the day at 12:30 with a drive into the city, a quick stop for gelato near the colosseum, followed by a colosseum tour and walk through the Roman Forum. We stopped at the first franciscan church in Rome--it was stunning!--and a drive through St. Peter's Square en route to the hotel.

After a delicious (and ungodly noisy) dinner of yummy pizza and bruschetta, I took a walk with the choral directors in pursuit of an ATM in the now dark Rome.

Although my director described the area as the"ghetto," not to be mistake for the actual, Roman Jewish Ghetto, I found it to be remarkably similar to my corner of Paris! Theres even a Simply Market! (You know where Im going first thing tomorrow!) It had the same edgy vibe, the same windy streets, the same trash piles, the same halal grocers.

So here's to a wonderfully historic and beautiful city, ghetto or not, for Rome seems to have wiggled it's way into my heart.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Dear Reader, share your thoughts!